Get Off the Diet Roller Coaster: 6 Tips for Making Your Weight Loss Last
Losing weight isn’t easy, but keeping the weight off for the long haul can be even more challenging. Many of us get stuck on that endless roller coaster of yo-yo dieting. We go on a diet, lose some weight, go off our diet, and then gain all of the weight back, plus some. So how can you get off of this dieting roller coaster?
Learn some helpful tips to make your weight loss last:
- Choose a diet for the long term. Many diets are very restrictive, and there’s no way you can stay on a diet like that for very long.
- Rather than restricting calories to some ridiculously small number, or eliminating entire food groups, choose a healthy eating plan that you’ll be able to stick to, even after reaching your target weight.
- Keep exercising even after you reach your goal weight. Losing weight isn’t a race where you get to stop and rest once you cross the finish line. It’s an ongoing effort, and it’s vital that you continue to eat right and exercise, so you don’t put the pounds back on.
- Set a target range rather than a specific goal weight. Trying to stick to a specific number on the scale can be difficult. If you go above your goal weight it can be discouraging, and you may lose the motivation you need to stick to a healthy diet and exercise program.
- Shooting for a target range also allows for weight fluctuations that naturally occur.
- Having a support system can help you stay on track. If you can surround yourself with people that will help keep you motivated and accountable, it will be easier to maintain your weight loss.
- Enlist the help of friends, family members, coworkers, or even people on a social networking site. If you state your goals publicly, you’ll be more motivated to put forth the effort to reach them.
- Give yourself permission to make mistakes from time to time. Sticking to a healthy diet and regular exercise program is great, but there will be times where you eat something unhealthy or miss a few days of exercise.
- If you overindulge on food or don’t work out, avoid letting that destroy your motivation. Keep yourself from going back to sitting on the couch and eating junk food.
- If you have a misstep, get back on track and start moving forward again. You’ll reach and maintain your weight loss goals if you can develop good habits.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. Rather than turning to high calorie, prepackaged, processed foods when you need a snack, eat a piece of fruit or a bowl of vegetables. They’re packed with vitamins and minerals, are low in calories, and will fill you up.
If you’ve been a yo-yo dieter in the past, you know how losing weight and keeping it off can be extremely difficult. If you keep these tips in mind, though, you’ll discover an easier and a more enjoyable experience than that roller coaster!